|Title||God of the Underworld
The Good Shepherd
|Sons and Daughters||Horus and Anubis|
|Siblings||Isis, Seth the Desert god and Nephthys|
|Patron - Dominion||Judge of the Dead - the Underworld|
|Dedicated temples||Philae Temple|
|Appearance||green-skinned man in the form of a mummified Pharaoh |
He holds the crook and flail symbol of his kingship in the underworld
|Greek equivalent||Persephone the agriculture goddess, who end up in the underworld through treachery|
- Osiris was the legendary ruler of the Pre-Dynastic Period
- Ra appointed Osiris as the king of earth shortly after its creation
- Originally he was the god of agriculture, but was slain by his jealous brother
- The common Legend of Osiris is about his death
- He was murdered by his brother Seth, who chopped up his body into 14 pieces, and threw it into the Nile
- After his death Isis collected his body parts and concealed them in a tree trunk, this sacred tree trunk came to represent the spine of Osiris and was known as the Djed
- Isis briefly resurrected Osiris back to life by use of the "Ritual of Life" spell that she learned from Thoth.
- His restoration to life by his wife Isis made him the great symbol of the eternal persistence of life "immortality"
- This spell gave her time to become pregnant by Osiris before he again died, and had Horus as a child
- Osiris resided in the underworld as the lord of the dead
- Even though he was a god, he could no longer dwell in the land of the living
- Osiris performs the final judgment over the dead, in the Judgment hall of Maat
- His myth, portraying the highest ideals of family devotion, expressed aspirations that were close to the people.
- The revenge exacted by his son and successor Horus showed the triumph of good over evil.
- During the New Kingdom Amun became the imperial god of Egypt, more and more gods were melted into his powerful domain, including the powerful Ra
Attempts were made even to put Amun into the place of Osiris in the underworld but the mortuary cult and the concepts related to the underworld were founded so deeply in the Egyptian traditions that Amun could not sneak behind the original beliefs.
- Osiris survived all the way through the Roman Period in the name of Serapis, until early Christianity.
Similarities Between Osiris and Jesus Christ
In the Ptolemaic Period, the cult of Serapis was reinvented based on the myth of Osiris
Early Christians in Egypt identified Christ with Serapis, renamed their god to Jesus, and continued their worship as usual
- Osiris before death was titled " The Good Shepherd", and Jesus Christ is a shepherd to his followers
- Both Osiris and Jesus were killed by treachery from close relationships, Seth and Judas respectively
- Osiris and Jesus both suffered a painful death, with sacrifices that were gloomy, solemn, and mournful
- The symbol of Osiris was the Djed, which resembles a cruciform form similar to the Cross of Jesus
- Both Osiris and Jesus Christ were briefly resurrected, Jesus resurrected after three days of his death and Osiris by the magical spell of Isis
- Osiris' and Jesus resurrections served to provide hope to all that they may do likewise and become eternal.
- After their respective deaths, both gods became kings in the afterlife, Osiris being the "Lord of the Underworld" and Jesus Christ the "King of Heaven"
- They both perform the final judgment of the dead, to decide who should join their Kingdoms and be granted eternal life.
RitualsOsiris exclaims "I have welcomed the chief spirits in the service of the Lord of things! I am the Lord of the fields when they are white ready to harvest"
Christ says "Behold, I say to you, Lift up your eyes and look on the fields, that are white already to the harvest."
- The Egyptian ritual says "He is your, O Osiris! A well, or flow, comes out of your mouth to him!"
Christ says "I am the Father, inundating when there is thirst, guarding the water. Behold me at it."
- There are many other Egyptian sacred verses relating to Osiris, identical to Bible verses
Video: God Osiris
This is the 5th God of the Series of the Egyptian Pantheon Gods. 5th God is God Osiris now in this series I will be talking and showing pictures as talk if I......