This Lighthouse of Alexandria was considered the 7th Wonder of the ancient world
- Started by Ptolemy 1 Soter who died prior to its completion
- Enormous cost and slave labor were employed
- The architect was Sostrato the Greek
- Completed and inaugurated by the first Ptolemy's son, Ptolemy 2 Philadelphus, in 283 BC
The lighthouse was reached from Alexandria's harbor through an approach that extended 3.5km and connected the city with Pharos Island.
it consisted of a monumental edifice with three tiers, consisting of a lower quadrangular one, surmounted by an octagonal layer and topped by a cylindrical section. The approach to its entrance was by way of a long ramp with vaulted arcades. Within, a large spiral ramp led to some fifty service rooms in the third tier were wood was used to burn a fire that acted as the light source, which could be seen from almost 100 miles out to sea
the lowest square, measured about 55.9 m high with a cylindrical core
the middle octagonal with a side length of 18.30 m and a height of 27.45 m
the third circular 7.30 m high.
The total height of the building including the foundation base was about 117 m
In 796 the lighthouse lost its upper tier, and went without repair for about a century.
In 950 parts of its surface cracked and to stabilize it, the lighthouse was reduced by some 22 meters in height.
In 1303 a major earthquake shook the whole eastern Mediterranean and the Pharos was destroyed
This was to be the end of the 7th Wonder of the ancient world,