Lower Egypt - 5 kilometers north of Saqqara
West bank of Nile, bordering the Sahara Desert
|Nome||White fortress - the 1st Nome of Lower Egypt|
|Type of Settlement||Royal necropolis of the Old Kingdom's 5th Dynasty|
|Ancient name||Egyptian Per-Usir "The house of Osiris "|
Old Kingdom - The first Pharaoh to start building at Abusir was Userkaf, the founder of the 5th Dynasty, He built a unique sun temple.
- The presence of Abusir Lake made the site easily accessible by boat
|Monuments||- There are seven 5th Dynasty pyramids at this site.
- The quality of construction of the Abusir pyramids is inferior to those of the 4th Dynasty
- Abusir was the origin of the largest find of Old Kingdom papyri ? the Abusir Papyri.
- The three major pyramids are those of Niuserre, Neferirkare and Sahure.
- The site is also home to the incomplete Pyramids of Neferefre and Shepseskare
- All of the major pyramids at Abusir were built as step pyramids
- The Pyramid of Neferirkare was built as a 6-step pyramid 52m high, and then later transformed into a "true" pyramid by having its steps filled in with loose masonry, and reached a height of 72m
- The Abusir Papyri - the largest find of Old Kingdom's papyri to date