|Rule:||Founder of Ptolemaic Dynasty: 323-285 BC|
|Predecessor:||Macedonian king Alexander the Great|
|Father:||Lagus a Greek nobleman of Eordaea, advisor to Alexander the Great|
|Praenomen:||Throne name: Setepenre-Meryamun: Chosen of Ra, beloved of Amun|
Ptolemy also had a consort in Thais
Eurydice the daughter of Antipater
- Ptolemy was one of Alexander the Greats' most trusted generals, and among the seven bodyguards attached to his person. He was his intimate friend since childhood.
- In 323 BC upon the death of Alexander the Great, Ptolemy was appointed satrap of one third of all the Macedonian Empire, Egypt and Cyrenaica, under the nominal kings Philip Arrihidaeus and the infant Alexander 4.
The former satrap Cleomenes, shortly stayed on as his deputy, but was later executed by Ptolemy.
- Philip Arrihidaeus was a weak ruler and soon the empire began to break up. Hence, Alexander's generals, known as the diadochi, divided up the conquered territories for themselves.
- 321 BC -Perdiccas, the appointed guardian and regent of the empire, invaded Egypt but was defeated by Ptolemy. Perdiccas was murdered in his tent by two of his subordinates.
- 312 BC -Ptolemy 1nvaded Syria, and defeated Demetrius Poliorcetes
- 311 BC -The 13 years old king Alexander 4 son of Alexander the Great, was murdered in Macedonia, leaving the satrap of Egypt in complete power.
- 309 BC -Ptolemy commanded a fleet that invaded the Greek coastal towns of Lyciam Caria, Corinth, Sicyon and Megara
- 306 BC -Antigonus tried to invade Egypt; but was defeated
- 305 BC -Ptolemy took the title of Pharaoh, taking the Egyptian name Meryamun Setepenre, which means "Beloved of Amun, Chosen of Ra "
- He standardized the monetary system in Egypt and established coinage in the country
- He developed the new cult of Serapis, and established the first temple dedicated to this god
- He built a number of important projects including:
The Great Library at Alexandria which was completed by his son Ptolemy 2 Philadelphus
The Hathor temple of Kom Abu Billo
He set the foundations of the Pharos Lighthouse of Alexandria
|Burial:||Alexandria in the royal necropolis, which was ever been found|
|Successor:||Son Ptolemy 2 Philadelphus out of Bernice 1|
|Wikipedia:||Ptolemy 1 Soter|
Video: Son of God, King of Kings, and Savior of the World?
Son of god, king of kings, and savior of the world? Ptolemy XV (Caesarion) was the ONLY begotten (biological) son of Divus Julius Caesar (God). After Caesar ......